Everything awesome in the world of technology, social media, and entertainment — straight from Pittsburgh! Join us as we discuss the latest gadgets, web sites, and talk with people doing awesome things in tech!
450: Why Not Build An IronMan Suit
The crew is back in studio as Chilla, Katie, and Sorg bring you this week’s tech news, including:
- Chilla’s Awesome Thing of the Week is Dr. Mario on iOS and Android!
- Katie is using AR to try on makeup via YouTube as her Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg is talking about Instagram and IGTV updates with landscape video as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Wood Street Galleries had a robot drawing portraits right here in Pittsburgh!
- Fortnite maker, Epic Games, acquired Houseparty.
- Netflix is bringing Stranger Things to mobile gaming with AR.
- E3 was this past week. When the power died, the games continued thanks to the Nintendo Switch consoles that stayed on!
- You can buy just about anything on Amazon – including an electric shock bracelet that stops you from eating fast food?
- Sorg is exploring the sex doll industry with some interesting videos about Real Doll’s tech integrations. [LINK NSFW]
- We’re talking some TurboGrafx and Konami’s mini offering for the retro games trend.
- Tesla is turning showrooms into an arcade to get people to stop by.
- Adam Savage from Mythbusters built a flying IronMan suit!
- AirPower isn’t happening, so there are some alternatives, like AirUnleashed!
- Chilla is bringing us some RCS updates.
449: Drone Training
Bobby Cherry joins us in studio with Sorg, while Chilla checks in from Studio C to talk this week in tech news, including:
- Sorg is sharing his experiences filming SAE’s AutoDrive as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Chilla is sharing his Surface headphones as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Bobby is sharing the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policy as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- We’re talking about an update in iMovie to include green screen capabilities and picture-in-picture.
- We’re checking out some updates on Be My Eyes (which we checked out a little bit ago).
- Chilla is talking some cloud with iCloud and xCloud updates.
- Amazon is building scale models to help train their little drones learn.
448: Fries on top
Sorg is away – so Katie, Chilla, and Producer Missy are going to play! This week, Katie takes control of the helm as we talk this week in tech news, including:
- Chilla’s Awesome Thing of the Week is from the Apple announcement with WWDC 19 with Side Car to bring a second monitor experience to Mac OS.
- Katie is sharing unsafe headphone volume through Apple Health as her Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Missy is sharing Excel for iPhone as her Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Amanda shared Shhhhh with us this week to excrete on the discreet.
- WWE superstar R-Truth uses Apple Clips to create some fun video promos.
- Kennywood is getting high tech with 360 camera views.
- Cuphead is coming to Tesla.
- Apple is planning to end iTunes as we know it?
- NASA made their entire media library public and copyright free.
- There is nothing as entertaining as forced perspective with tiny superhero toys.
- You can quickly switch Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in the new control center!
- There’s a new Mac Pro coming to town, and we may be a little too excited about it.
- With Apple making their recent changes, how many apps do you think will hit the Mac OS App Store later this year?
- Katie is saving the best story for last this week – Pornhub has released a Top 20 list of cities checking them out.
447: PARTYING LIKE ITS 1994
We’ve got Uncle Crappy back in studio to join Katie, Sorg, and Chilla as we talk this week in tech, including:
- When you have the Beer Me guy on the podcast, he brings beer. Tune in to see what we’re drinking in studio!
- Uncle Crappy is sharing the Moto Z4 as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Chilla is sharing the Elgato stream deck as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Katie is sharing an interesting use of Tesla’s auto-pilot feature as her Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg is sharing Mario Kart Tour as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- PSA – Remember to watch your orientation for video on social media.
- Looking for something bigger and deeper for your vertical garden? There’s a wall planter for you on Amazon!
- Queen Elizabeth receives over a million dick pics since joining Instagram.
- VR has been used for lots of things – now it’s helping with pain management and opioid usage.
- iPod Touch is still a relevant part of tech conversations.
- Looking to do a home remodel? Modsy allows you to check it out in AR before you commit to something you’ll regret later!
- Contra anniversary collection is coming.
- He-Man or She-Ra fan? How about a power sword power strip?
- Katie is sad that her 3-in-1 TV/VCR/DVD combo player died.
- Panic’s PlayDate comes with a crank – but at least there’s WiFi!
- LEGO is celebrating Geek Pride Day the right way – with PacMan!
446: BLACK AND WHITE ANGRY BIRDS
Professor Buzzkill joins Sorg and Chilla as we talk this week (and this century) in tech:
- Chilla is sharing his Pixel 3a as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg was able to attend the AlphaLab Gear Hardware Cup event to experience it up close and personal behind a live stream rig as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg had an opportunity to check out Yodel Labs and their AR positioning as part of the Hardware Cup.
- Sorg is sharing some updates from Vital Flo and Algenair from the Hardware Cup.
- Want to do your own canning? No, not like your grandmother’s beets, more like your grandfather’s adult beverages with Equals Can.
- Professor Buzzkill is sharing the black-and-white setting on his iPhone as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- For most things in tech there are previous ideas and predecessors in history. Professor Buzzkill is sharing some of that evolution with us.
- No Awesome Thing of the Week is dumb as long as it’s awesome to you – like Brian’s sweet standing desk.
- Microsoft and Sony are partnering for gaming and cloud services?
- Schell Games is having a friends and family event.
- You can all thank Sorg for the new MacBook Pro release from Apple.
- Pittsburgh is bringing back the magic with Liberty Magic. Chilla is giving us all the details.
- Sorg was in Hollywood – and of course he found the Museum of Selfies.
- Professor Buzzkill is questioning bathroom selfies.
- Minecraft AR is coming. Sorg can’t wait to compare it to Angry Birds AR.
445: LIVE FROM PITTSBURGH BUSINESS SHOW!
Krause, Katie, and Sorg are recording at the Pittsburgh Business Show to talk this week in tech news, including:
- Dudders is excited for 80’s Night to close out Rogue Laser Grounds this week!
- Krause has the Android Q beta on his phone, and it behave a little more like iPhone.
- Sorg got to help setup Google Translate to help a client communicate with their Chinese counterpart this weekend
- Brandon has a car vending machine in Kansas City! (Carvana)
- A Danish politician is advertising on PornHub.
- ‘Invader Zim’ and ‘Rocko’s Modern Life’ movies are coming to Netflix
- Match.com is offering dating coaches!
- We consider the One Plus 7 Pro
- Google Podcasts are now in search on desktop and iOS!
444: BIG DATA DUMPS
Chilla, Katie, and Sorg are joined by Charlie Deitch of the Pittsburgh Current to talk this week in tech news, including:
- Chilla is looking at the Pixel 3a as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Katie is sharing an Instagram update to add alternate text to photos.
- Sorg is sharing some live stream cool things with Hear Corp as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Charlie is sharing a cool addition for the Pittsburgh Current as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg’s best segue: How about that Spiderman trailer?
- Pittsburgh had a new traffic reporter at WTAE.
- Angry Birds extends into the real world with AR integration.
- Microsoft Solitaire has been inducted into the Video Game Hall of Fame, and Sorg is looking to check it out next time he’s in the area.
- Google is working on a way for voice recognition to work with those with speech impairments.
- Alexa goes hands-free on Windows with a wake word update.
- PornHub wants to buy Tumblr and restore its adult content.
- Commercial drones are more popular than the FAA expected.
- Microsoft is coming back to MacOS with its Edge browser.
It’s been a while, but we’ve got Jon Carman in studio as he joins Katie, Chilla, and Sorg to talk this week in tech news, including:
- Chilla shows us his still in the box Tello Iron Man Edition drone by DJI in honor of Avengers Endgame coming out.
- Katie is interested in the Tombot robot dog for comforting the elderly.
- Carman just discovered the Karate Kid sequel series Cobra Kai on YouTube
- Thanos makes your Google results disappear.
- Pornhub has interesting data on Avengers related search results.
- Amazon is giving Prime members 1 day delivery
- Tomatan feeds you tomatos as you job. But what else could it feed you?
- Mario Kart Tour beta is making Sorg dust off his spare Android devices.
- Facebook announces redesigns of the main app, Instagram likes disappearing, and Facebook Messenger gets co-watching video chat.
- Chilla is perplexed by Samsung GalaxyView 2
- Beesexual videos on PornHub aim to bring awareness and funds to help the bee problem with DR Buzzcock
442: DOT IN THE BATHROOM
It’s been a while, but we’ve got Chris Maverick in studio as he joins Katie, Chilla, and Sorg to talk this week in tech news, including:
- Chilla is sharing his FireCube as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Chilla is sharing about his home automation updates with his FireCube addition.
- Not to be outdone, our guest Chris Maverick is sharing his own home automation upgrades – including his HomePod and streaming service.
- The new Child’s Play movie takes over smart home devices with the Buddi Connected app. Katie is sharing as her Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg is sharing his new MacBook Pro as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Starting in July, you can return Amazon purchases to Kohl’sstores.
- We found another TV for Chilla’s man cave – Sony’s 98-inch 8K TV…for only $70K.
- We have some friends running the Pittsburgh Marathon and they’re sharing the Relive App.
- Working as a social media manager can be hard some days. Imagine being the manager for PornHub or Wendy’s!
- Apparently the Galaxy Fold is on hold.
- Sesame Street wants you to get off your phone!
441: PROCEED POGO
Chris Whitlatch is back with some VR updates this week. He is joined by Sorg and Chilla as we talk this week in tech news, including:
- Sorg is sharing CarPlay as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Chris is sharing more VR interaction with Feelreal as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- We’re a step closer to Ready Player One with more advances in technology.
- Chilla selected his new TV! He’s sharing the Samsung Series 8 65″ as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- PlayStation 5 plans have been released.
- Microsoft announces their disk-less Xbox One S all digital edition.
- Sorg experienced Nashville scooter wasteland firsthand over the weekend.
- Blackmagic has released a free video editing app.
- Gaming as a therapy tool for mental illness?
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance is coming to Nintendo Switch.
- Capcom has a plug-and-play arcade controller loaded with classic games.
- Twitch is debuting karaoke with Twitch Sings.
440: NETFLIX NEEDS TO CHILL OUT
There are some new, but familiar faces on the couch this week as Sorg is joined by Krause and Brian to talk about this week’s tech headlines, including:
- Brian is sharing some of what he’s working on these days!
- Brian is schooling us on how he uses multiple smart devices – in the same room.
- Brian is sharing how he uses Garmin Speak with Alexa as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Did you know you could actually have a conversation with your smart device?
- Krause is sharing a smart surge protector power strip as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
- Sorg’s Awesome Thing of the Week is from his recent SAE trip. He’s sharing how a team from Canada modified their plane for snowy conditions.
- Sorg and Brian both shared Bricksburgh – a LEGO pop-up bar, so of course we have to talk about it.
- We’re learning about how SAE is using Facebook Portal for remote access onsite help.
- A-Train is the AI in Facebook Portal.
- We’re talking about how Netflix has killed AirPlay support.
- Getting older is getting easier because of technology.
- Brian is sharing how he’s using a vertical mouse, ergonomic keyboard, and a lumbar pillow from Amazon to counteract the results of his aging process.
- Google podcast is making in-episode searching easier by transcribing episodes.
- Microsoft is going to combine Xbox game pass and live into a monthly subscription?